Sunday, September 14, 2008

Say what you want, Walmart has some nice exclusives...

I really love these repaint movie exclusives. I loved Cybertron, (Well, most of it) so the molds are already pretty aces in my book. I have four out of the seven releases, and I love em all.

Big Daddy- WHAT? Of all the G1 names to revive, you revive that one? Hilarious. An awesome nod to collectors, who are the only people who get the inside joke. Add that to the great paint scheme and cool figure and you have a must buy. Anyone who listened to Decepticast knows my love for black repaints, and Big Daddy adds to that by having badass flames. A great obscure homage that I'm very glad to have in my collection. It's just a nice figure. No wonder on his first release he flew out of Walmarts almost as fast as Masterpiece screamers.

Grindcore- Cybertron Landmine was a great figure that deserved a lot more play. In a line that was a large part repaints, he was never repainted once. Thank goodness he became a Botcon exclusive, he deserved it. So, I was very happy to see him here. With a cool brand new name to boot! "Grindcore"...sounds awesome doesn't it? Sure, the paint scheme is a little bland but it is Constructicon-ny, right? Ah, who cares about the boring green. The mold is great, I love the way his head is painted and he's an exclusive. Grindcore FTW!

Crankcase- Personally, I loved the Red Alert mold. Sure, it was a little short but he's incredibly posable, detailed and has a lot of personality what with his tools and robo cop head and flip up cannons. Not to mention the amazing Cannonball repaint immidiately won me over. Now THAT was a cool toy. When this was announced at Botcon 08, I thought it was great. Not only did have another great variation of Decepticon symbol (The Hazmat symbol, just like Barricade's amazing police one) but the rest of the deco was very through. He was also a great modern homage. I never thought of Red Alert and the Triggercon together, but it really works. Plus you can always never have too many Decepticons. The deco is mostly a great navy blue, combined with some black and metallics that looks really nice. And there's JUST enough yellow to compliment the paint and add the Haz-mat nature. GREAT REDECO, highly recommended.

Breakaway- He wasn't originally on my list, given that I already own three of this mold and despite the cool car mode and robot design it's not that posable. However, my girlfriend really liked him, and as I looked into him I was really impressed how much he actually does look like Getaway, to the point where i can't help but call him that sometimes. Vehicle mode is actually pretty snazzy with the white and the red tint on the windows. Robot mode, despite Cybertron's cool design suffers from not a lot of paint apps unfortunately. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible but lacks the polish of Crankcase. Mine's a little loose too. Still, I don't regret the purchase, it's a cool homage but, frankly, no one is as cool as Big Daddy.

What about the other three?

Jolt- Eh, actually the color scheme is pretty cool but after going to Botcon and getting Jazz and Ricochet in addition to Crosswise and Smokescreen, I didn't need another one.

Divebomb- UGGGGH. Worst mold in the entire line with a puke yellow brown poo splotched paint scheme. Thankfully he was killed in Reign of Starscream.

Fracture- Since when does everyone love Gobots. The paint scheme is ok but that Mirage mold is boring. Not to mention he's a pretty wierd female. AND IT'S A GOBOT PEOPLE! Sheesh.

All in all, Walmart has made some awesome exclusives. I was more excited for those repaints then some of the new Universe molds. Call me crazy, but I'll take Crankcase over that new Ironhide anyday. Ratchet might be a different story...but that's not the point. They're awesome. Grab them before they're gone. Big Daddy's going again, and Fracture (For who knows why) is going fast. Here's my list:

1. Big Daddy
2. Crankcase
3. Grindcore
4. Breakaway
5. Fracture
6. Jolt
7. Divebomb

I know I don't have three of them but I have the molds and have seen the color schemes so I thought it was ok.

No comments: